Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pushing Above myself

       
     
  Lets talk about shifting to a higher gear in bicycle terms. On your bike you have gears. When riding your bike you need to find that gear that you can spin in comfortablely but still get somewhere.  When you are in a lower gear there is less resistance on the pedals. This is a great gear to use when you are climbing and trying to get up some hill. However, when you are on the flat part of your ride if you stay in that lower gear your legs start spinning to fast and you don't cover ground very quickly.  However, if you shift to a higher gear you move farther for each spin on your pedals. The resistance is more and this might seem harder to you but if you keep spinning in those higher gears you will soon cover more ground with less resistance because your body will adapted and grow stronger.
     I think in life a lot of times we find ourselves stuck in the lower gear. Spinning our wheels literally and figuratively and not covering much ground. This gear is easy. Not a lot of resistance is place on us so it doesn't hurt and we don't have to push very hard but we keep moving.  On the other hand if we would just shift to a higher gear, maybe just one gear higher than we have been at we will start to cover more ground. It's going to be hard and you will have to work to get use to this new gear. Your mind and body will slowly grow and develop and this higher gear won't seem so hard anymore. At this point you could turn around and see the ground you have covered and the progress you have made. Then it will be time to try again and shift to an even higher gear.
     I told you in my last post I was going to shift to a higher gear that might sound crazy and it is. It will be really hard for me to accomplish but I know with hard work and dedication I can do it.
This is my Dad and last year he and his wife went to Colorado and did a 120 mile bike ride over three mountain passes in one day.  They had so much fun they signed up to do it again this July 14th. I had a crazy idea and talked with my dad's wife and my husband (cause I am going to need his help) and asked them both about me riding for my dad this July.  AAAAH!! Now I consider myself a runner who bikes on the side. Not a biker that is going to ride 120 miles in one day starting at and elevation of 8000 and climbing to 10,000 or 11,000 feet.  To train for this as well as the other races I have already planned for myself is really going to require me to shift to a higher gear. I have learned one thing that anyone is capable of anything if  they put in the time and effort in to doing it. I know I can do this but I know that I will need lots of help and gentle persuassion and motivation.

      Will you please stick with me for the next few months and be my cheering squad and help me shift to a higher gear and maybe just maybe I can help you in the process as well.

Shift on everyone. Find that higher gear in whatever area of your life and hit that shift button.

Shifting to a higher gear.
Corrine

3 comments:

  1. Corrine you inspire me. You are a great example to me. Your Faithfulness, your charity, your strength both physically and spiritually is amazing. Thank you for being my dear friend.
    I know you you can 120 miles in one day because you are the daughter of the great Dave Walker...its in your blood. If there's anything standing in your way of accomplishing this goal hopefully you will call me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! You go Corrine! I think my dad did that one with them last year... it is so amazing, and I know YOU can do it! Keep us posted, I'm excited for you... you are SO STRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some big goals for yourself. But, you are a tough girl and always have been. Two quotes that I love are: I can do hard things and in the strength of the Lord I can do all things. The other is: The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. I know that your Dad will be with you on that ride through beautiful Colorado - helping shift to that higher gear. I have a firm knowledge that our family is aware and very close to us.

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.