Wednesday, April 17, 2013

runners and spectators my view of Boston

     So, like all of you as soon as I heard about Boston I was shocked and saddened and almost a bit angry. Someone had taken a dream that I have had and  added some ugly to it. I thought how awful for these people that had been hurt or killed and how terribly sad I was for their families. I felt really bad for the runners who had literally worked their butts off to make it to Boston and not get to cross the famous finish line with a cheering crowd.
     I have seen and been reading a lot of peoples thoughts on this tragedy. I love how in so many ways runners are coming together to show the world that runners rule. Runners are strong, competitive ,loving, and loyal to our sport and to our fellow runners.
I love this picture that my friend posted on facebook even though the person who made it spelled smart wrong.:) 
Running is my sport and Boston is my dream race. I want so badly to earn my stripes and cross the finish line at Boston.
 
However, with all the things that I have been reading I haven't seen a post to thank our spectators.
As far as I can tell the majority of the injuries that day happened to those that were standing on the sidelines cheering on the runners.
This is my tribute to the spectators:
I can remember fondly spending many weekends standing on the side of a road somewhere waiting to catch a glimpse of that yellow helmet, or that flashy bandanna that my dad use to wear. As I waited I cheered for all those that went by and even handed out water and high fives. I remember the excitement that I felt and I wanted to cheer these people on. I loved it when I finally spotted that helmet or that bandanna and I would scream and yell with pride: "GO DAD!!!"
Then it was my turn to be in the race. I remember one of my first 5K's that my mom actually talked me into running. In the last 100 meters of the race there was a woman in front of me and I remember all these people yelling "GO GO GO!!" So, I did.  I passed her not knowing that I had just been the overall woman's leader. The crowd helped me win the race and a new pair of shoes.
The first marathon I ever did I remember well. There were people almost along the whole route and when I had to stop and slow down they cheered me on and yelled things like" you can do it!" "keep going 1033"(my bib number).  I still remember this young girl at mile 24 or 25 yelling "Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!!"  I could have kissed her but instead I gave her a high five. I needed her at that point because I was exhausted. I remember the feelings and the sound as I rounded the corner to the finish line. People were lined up and down the side of the street. The cheers were so loud  they echoed off the walls of the building. I felt like crying, and I might have just a bit, but my feet no longer hurt at that point and their cheers literally carried me across the finish line.
Thank you spectators for that day!!
These spectators are what we runners need in our lives. These spectators are the ones that buoy us up while we train for months. They let us go run for hours at a time week after week. They let us schedule these hours into our lives and theirs as well. These spectators listen to us as we tell them how great or how yucky our run was that day. The cheer for us when we tell them we had a great run and they help us work out our aches and pains as they come.
These spectators stand on the side of the road with food and drinks and signs waiting in anticipation to help us and cheer us on. They stand on the side of the road waiting for who knows how long just to catch a glimpse of us run right by them. 
These spectators are the strength we need when we don't think we have any left.
We love and need these spectators no matter who they are, and no matter what race we are trying to run in life.
 
So, this year I will continue to run. I have even contemplated doing another marathon and work super hard to earn my wings and fly to Boston.I would love to earn my stripes and cross the Boston finish line. However, I am going to try harder to love and appreciate those spectators in my life a little more this year. I need them.
 
May we all run and appreciate the spectators in our lives more this year. Do this in dedication to those that were at Boston cheering on our fellow runners. They showed up for us and tragedy hurt them.  They are the ones that we runners need to pay tribute to this year. So as you run give those high fives, say thank you to those standing on the sidelines,and appreciate those that are the spectators in your life.
 
Remember to shift to a higher gear.
Corrine
 
PS. if you have a spectator you appreciate please share this post anyway you can.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love to read the posts you and your sister write. Always so impressed with the ability you and your sister have to express your feelings.

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.