Thursday, July 21, 2011

Win some, loose some

I have been playing on a Co-Ed softball team this summer and I was trying not to get injured before the Ragnar.  So I took every precaution I could.  I stretched and tried not to start off too fast while running the bases. Well, I still stretched, but I may have gotten a little relaxed after the Ragnar because I injured my hamstrings.  I don't hit the ball far enough so I have to race to 1st base, and I think it's the running fast from a stopped position. That's my guess anyway.  I've had a great time playing ball, but my hamstrings are not liking me right now.

I talked my brother in law into running a 5k with me this last weekend.  His excitement for the race spurred me on even though I wasn't running very much or very well because of my hamstrings. I had all 4 kids in tow and arranged a place to stay the night, and as I was driving there my brother in law cancelled.  What? The nerve! I was a little bummed.  Knowing my hamstrings were hurting I thought about not running, but I really wanted to go and feel the excitement that is present at races.  I also talked to my dad's wife and she was running the 10k at a pace I thought I could keep up.  So I signed myself up for the 10k.

The week before the race I took it easy and stretched to get those silly hamstrings to loosen up.  We even did yoga the night before to help it out some more.  I would love to say it helped, but sadly, no I felt the same.  I would like to say I was even smarter and decided to run the 5k, but no I'm not that smart.  It was a painful 6 miles where my legs cramped the whole time.  I don't think I would have stuck it out with out my running partner with me.  I thought I came in dead last, but I got the race results and I was 2nd to last! :)

We sat around to hear the race results and to hopefully win some of the fabulous prizes awarded.  They were giving away 3 bikes, iPods, camelback fuel packs, shoes, tons of prizes.  My daughter saw that all three iPods given away went to three kids her age!  She said geez I should run so I can win some awesome prizes.  Right then the light bulb went off in my head and I said Monday morning we will start Boot Camp and train to run a race.

Monday morning came and off we went.  I calculated that three times around the block was 0.9 of a mile so they each had to do three laps.  At first, my oldest son was dragging his feet.  My husband challenged him to a race and off they went.  They loved showing us how strong they were.  They started doing pull ups in the trees and my oldest son started doing sit ups and went on to do 200 sit ups and 50 push ups!  We are off to a good start.

I may have done terrible at the race, but I think I may have won at getting my family more active.  I'm hoping we can keep each other motivated.

2 comments:

  1. It was a tough course! I would have totally pooped out had Tina not been with me. I was feeling it too. Awesome about your kids. My kids are signed up for the races at the Poc Marathon this year. Do you want to run the 10k in August? I heard it's a flat course. :) I'm going to try and be more prepared this time. Hope your ham strings heal and give you a break! Good job running despite all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!! Bert started running with me too! I love it. Kels said she might want to try a half.(in Disneyland) LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.