Friday, August 24, 2012

Example speaks loud!!

So I haven't fallen off the earth. Just went into hibernation. To be honest being pregnant has been a lot harder on my physically and mentally than I ever could have imagined.  However, this week I had a thought and it keeps running in my head that I needed to post it so I guess I am back.

On Wednesday afternoon my cute little almost 3 year old came up to me with my garmin(GPS running watch) and my headphones and said, " mom, I'm gonna go on my run now. Ok?" Then she headed to the door and was going outside. I quickly followed her cause she is 3 and really shouldn't be out in the streets by herself, even though I am pretty sure she is tuff enought to handle herself. This little girl was determined to go on a run. I had to stop her from going to far. I had to talk her into just running 100 meter repeats up and down the street. At one point she told me she needed to go run 3 miles and was dead serious. She even got her 4 year old cousin to join her in the running game. We had water breaks and she went back outside. I sent Kevin a text and told him we had an olympic marathoner in our midsts. I tried to talk her into using the treadmill and she said no. (ahh a girl after her mothers own heart)





 
She is cute isn't she. Love her even when she is making me pull my hair out.
 
Since that afternoon this thought has been running through my mind. Example speaks louder than words any day of the week. I know that thought isn't new to anyone reading this but how is your example?  Watching her do this and realizing that she is doing this because I do made me think of other examples I am setting for my children. Some are good and some are bad. It made me realize I need to quit sitting in this lower gear I have found myself in for the last few months and I need to shift gears. I need to make up for the mistakes I have made and set a better example in all the things I do and say around my children.
 
How's your example? Is it time to shift gears and make up for that low gear you've been sitting in?
 
Wish you all a good day.
Keep shifting.
Corrine

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Corrine, and I think about that too. I see my daughter way to often repeat something I shouldn't have said, or use a tone of voice I shouldn't have used. I am also working on this one; trying to set a better example in all ways. On a running note, my kids are constantly asking to go out on a run or hike w/ me, so I am succeeding in one area.. just need work in other areas. :) Your daughter is adorable, thanks for sharing, and yes I'm sure you will have several runners athletes in your fam w/ you and Kevin's examples! I've missed your blogging.
    I think Johanna needs to post about all her exciting running events. I'll be in Colorado next weekend, but good luck to all of you running Pocatello!!

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.