Thursday, February 11, 2010

16 weeks and counting!

So really I think the only person in the world that will read this blog will be me. To be honest that will be fine. I just want to use this blog as a journal for my running and my running has always been just for me. Running for me keeps me sane. I am a stay at home mom and I realized that running is my thing. It is the thing that keeps me going. It makes me feel good, and it is something that I am finding that I am good at. Now when I say good I don't mean winning gold medals good but good enough for me. I am finding as I run that I am learning just what I am capable of. When I push myself running it shows me just how much I can push myself in life. Running makes me feel more confident about myself and I love the way I feel after a good run.
So, the purpose of this blog is for me to track my running and help me prepare for up coming races.
Right now I am training for a marathon the first week in June. This week starts out my sixteen week count down. I have a big goal for myself. I really want to run a 3:40 and qualify for Boston. I really think that this time is within me to get if I just do the work. I have chosen an unorthodox training plan. It is called the less is more plan. Essentially you run three days a week with cross training on the other days. This plan came out a few years ago and they have been testing it. You can find the plan on www.runnersworld.com. For me with the time that I have this plan fits great plus it allows me to ride my bike or swim which are things that I also like to do. The one thing that I haven't liked about previous marathon training plans is that you only have time to run. So, I bought the book and I am following the plan for a 3:40 time. So, far I have been able to run the paces they have asked and I feel really good doing it.
So on Monday I ran a tempo run of 6 miles. The first two miles were warm up which I ran at a 8:30's and then the next two I ran at 7:30's and finished with 2 miles at 8:00's. Felt great. The next two days I rode my bike on a trainer in the garage. Not as much fun as going outside but right now I don't have that option so the trainer works great. Today, I did a track workout. I warmed up for 15 mins and then did 3x1600m with 1min rest @ 7:02. Really I think I ran a Little bit quicker closer to 6:55's but I set my watch wrong and the times didn't get recorded right and then I finished with a cool down run home. All together it was just over 7miles. I felt really great on the track and decided that the track is really giving me a boost of confidence. (I have been doing track workouts for the last three weeks in preparation for the start of this 16 week program) so we will see how this goes over the next 16 weeks. Now just need to rest today and get ready for my long run on Saturday. Maybe tomorrow I will do an easy three to stretch out my legs we will see. Run on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.