Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's a daily thing

Last Saturday I had a terrible run.  My two-year-old decided he really wanted to come with me.  So I got him bundled up and in the stroller and headed for a very windy run.  I ended up walking some of it because the wind was blowing so hard pushing the stroller became very difficult.  I didn't feel good after the run and even took a nap!

Yesterday I went out for a run and decided not to take a watch or timer I was just going to run.  I didn't want to know it took me a very long time to reach my set distance, I was out there only to run.  Usually I walk the short distance from my house to the corner and do a little stretching (waste a little time, gear up for the run)  but yesterday I ran the minute I got out of the door.  I started running down the street and thought,  can I keep this pace?  Wait!  I wasn't going to think about that.  Just run!  And I did.  With every step I felt strong.  I didn't feel as if my feet were shuffling on the ground. I was running.  Through the whole run I didn't have a time when I felt like I needed a break. My body felt great, my mind felt great this is what I needed.

I am usually a patient person with other people but I am finding I am not so patient with myself.  I expect myself to be progressing faster than my body wants to.  Then I forget the whole reason I started enjoying running and it becomes a chore.  I have to remind myself that running is daily.  Each day is different and no two runs are the same.  Some days I may feel like crap and need a nap after a run and other days I may feel invigorated and ready to take on four kids, two cats and a husband! So I blogged about this last run so I can remember how a great run feels.  

I have been calling one of my friends each Monday this last month and we tell each other what healthy choice we are going to set as our goal for the week.  I have a hard time with the scale and loosing weight so I am making it about a healthy lifestyle and changing my bad habits for good ones (and hopefully that will help in the weightloss?)  My first goal was to drink more water.  Next was not eating after 8pm.  My third goal was to exercise early in the morning.  I should have re-thought that one it was a bad week to try that, but I have a goal for next week!  I can't say I have been perfect with all three of these goals, but I have made improvements.  This type of goal setting works for me because I don't feel like I am trying to do too much at one time.  It's manageable for me.

I'm going to remember that each run and each lifestyle change is daily.  I may have really good days and of course I will have bad days, but each day I'm doing something and in the long run I will be better for it!

*Image from Google pictures. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! I was going to write yesterday about a less-than-fantastic run. I planned to run 8 miles outside, but ended up struggling through 5 miles inside on a crappy treadmill with a dead ipod and essentially no motivation. I hate a run that leaves you feeling defeated. Thank goodness for that "fantastic" run we keep tucked away in our minds to remind us why we are running at all. I love the feeling of an effortless, strong run and while I can't say I have that feeling as often as I'd like, it sure does boost my confindence when it does happen! I loved the visual of you running right out the door ... so motivating! Great Job Johanna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the taking the husband four kids and cat!!! You are AmAzInG and totally inspiring....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on your goals and your great run! I think you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.