Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey stuffer recap!

So I wanted to post this sooner but our internet modem died on Wednesday night. Hmm, it's funny when you realize just how much you use the internet.
I was reading in runners world and it talked about after a race it is a good thing to hash out race with someone so you can review it and figure out what went well and what went wrong. So you small handful of people are going to be my group that I hash out my race with.
The morning was beautiful couldn't have asked for nicer weather in November. The sun was even shining and I live in Oregon, that doesn't happen a lot in the winter. I woke up early (not to early that would be crazy) and I had a small breakfast of Kashi cereal. It really hit the spot. Usually before my morning runs I don't eat but I had over an hour to wait before race time so I knew I needed to eat something small. My husband dropped me off and I could hardly believe how many people were there to do the race. I am very competitive so this started to make me nervous. I often look around and try to eye who is my competition (ha, like I'm gonna win a prize or something). I decided that I couldn't do this to myself I was there to race for myself and get the time I had set out to get not to beat anyone else. So, I found a bathroom and went into the stall. I believe in a Heavenly Father who hears and answers prayers so I said a small prayer asking for help to calm down and just do the best that I could do for that day. It worked. I went back outside and headed to the starting line. I wasn't nervous just anxious to start running. Bummer part of the race was that A LOT of people waited until the morning of the race to pick up their packets so this made start time late by like ten minutes. When I say a lot I mean a lot. Even after starting late there were still people pinning on numbers and not at the start line when the gun went off.

I have to admit I was worried that I started out to quick which is a mistake I make a lot,but I kept going and found my rhythm and it felt great. I got the time I had been working for which made me really happy.
The race showed me a few things about myself. One shorter races are fun. Two I am tougher and a better runner than I give myself credit for. I really need to quit comparing myself to others and just work harder on making myself the best me I can. Three I also realized that I have got to stop neglecting my core work. Toward the end of the race I could feel my core and it felt weak. I know that if I had worked harder on it I may have been able to go a little bit faster.

All in all I loved this turkey stuffer. I felt so invigorated when I was done and it gave me back some motivation and some love of running that I have been missing.

Goal for the month of December; CORE and all over strength training.

P.S. I also had a nice thanksgiving as well. hope you did too.

Keep running. Corrine

1 comment:

  1. Good job Corrine! We did a "turkey trot" here in Poc, and great weather here too, unbelievably. It was fun to do just a short race/ run. I wish you could come be my "core- trainer".. I am so bad about that. What are your favorite core exercises these days???

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.