Thursday, May 3, 2012

Goal number 2

This is me (Corrine) running the 2006 Newport Marathon. I was around mile 15 still smiling. Little did I know three miles late a giant brick wall was heading my way.

      My dad taught me how to farmer blow, or snot rocket whatever you want to call it. I know, totally gross. However, this little trick has come in handy on many runs and many bike rides. I remember my Dad saying, "there is nothing worse that using a Kleenex on a sweaty face."  My Dad also taught me some other tricks to use while running. Like when you are running up hill. He taught me to keep my cadence the same but shorten my stride. He told me that when I get a side ache I should hold it and breath out every time the opposite foot from my ache hit the ground.  (it totally works). My Dad taught me how to run. I love running. Running has taught me so many things about myself.
Running has taught me:
      to have confidence in myself
      that I can do hard things
      that I can do things by myself
      that if I set a goal and really work I can achieve it.
      that the body can do amazing things.
      that determination and hard work pay off.
      that if I fail to meet a goal and I hit that proverbial wall it's okay.
      that peace in the morning before the sun comes up is amazing.
      that I am strong.

  My Mom one time in college convinced me to run a 5K in town. I was way nervous and didn't want to do it, but she persisted. My Mom paid my entry fee and I showed up for race day. You know what happened? I won. I was the first female finisher overall. (now lets be honest the field wasn't very deep for this particular race) I had no idea that I had won until they announced it over the PA system. I had won a new pair of running shoes. I think this might have been when the racing side of my running started.  I have not won any race since that day and I don't think I have placed in the top three in any category since then but that's okay. I love races. There is such an energy and enthusiasm. You should go watch a race any race sometime and stand at the finish line. I promise it will excite you.

My dads strong face.

The shoes I won by submitting my Dads photo above.
  My Dad ran the Boston marathon. Something I have wanted to do. To be honest I wanted to be able to call him after I ran a quailfiing time to tell him. So, guess I will just have to tell you instead. ( He will know I'm pretty sure.)

My goal number 2: Is to run a Boston Qualifing time on September 1st 2012.  AAAHHH.
This is the Pocatello, Iddaho marathon and its on my Dad's birthday. He ran some distance of this race every year. In fact he ran a 3:05 one year in a cotton T-shirt.  Holy Crap thats fast.

This is so totally scary to put out there, but this blog is all about shifting to a higher gear. Now for your part. Lace up your shoes and start running or walking (yes my dad even walked this race last year do to injury) so you can join me at the distance of your choice on Sept. 1st.  Tell me about your goal and I will help you get there and you can help me.

P.S. any one willing to do this I will make a temporary tattoo of my logo that you can wear race day so we can run as a team. We will know each other and can help each other out along the way.

2 comments:

  1. You can totally do this! I know you can. You will have tons of support that day which will make it even better. When you run Boston, I want to come cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited for you Corrine! What an awesome goal! And, those are the same shoes I have.. we'll be twinners. :) Love your dad's tricks, especially about the side ache, I'm going to try it.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.