Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spotlight of the week!!

Michelle on the right, Jen in the middle and their new running partner on the left.

So I am excitied today to do another spotlight. A friend, Michelle, sent me an email to tell me about her friend and running partner. However, Michelle doesn't know this but today is going to be a double spotlight.  You see I am going to tell on Michelle for the kindness she has shown me. Michelle and I have been talking in emails and facebook. She is the one who got me to run Newport. Running this spring in preparation for this marathon has been a saving grace for me. It felt so good everyday to have a goal and go running. It has also been nice talking with Michelle about training. Also, the week my Dad died I was in Poky and contacted Michelle. We went on a run together. Now as a runner I did everything you are not suppose to do before a long run. I had to get all new clothes. (forgot mine at home) Had to borrow Michelle's shoes. (which she loaned me for the whole week) I hadn't eaten or slept very well all week. We went for 14 miles. I totally and completely DIED. I have never been so sick on a run before, but Michelle was so patient and so kind. That run was something I needed to do even though I felt like crap and it was so nice to have someone who was so patient and understanding there with me. Thanks Michelle for shifting gears that day and helping me out. You are going to rock this marathon. (did I mention this is her first marathon and I really think she is going to kick butt)

 Now, on to our second spotlight. I love the things Michelle had to say about Jen. It is exactly what I am talking about when I say shift to a higher gear to help someone else out. I know my first spotlight Mike is doing something huge and amazing but you don't have run across the state of Idaho to shift to a higher gear. I want to celebrate all the things people are doing on a daily basis no matter how big or small they may seem. However, Go Mike. Lets keep checking on him and give him our support on his facebook page or his blog. https://www.facebook.com/#!/MikesExtraMile

So Michelle told me all about her new friend and running partner Jen. She says that she met Jen on the soccer fields where their sons played together and they decided to start running together. Running sealed the deal. Here are Michelle's words on Jen

  From the beginning of this whole marathon training experience, she has been so positive and encouraging towards me.  If it wouldn't have been for her, I doubt I would have started training for this.  She has honestly made this whole process so much FUN!  She just randomly does nice things for me, like picking me up an extra gel when she's buying some for herself, etc.  The other day, she showed up with this cute, bright yellow basket full of flowers and colorful treats and a big drink.  She had a cute note taped to the front with a picture of a big sun that said "Sending you a LITTLE BOX OF SUNSHINE to brighten your day as you always brighten mine".  It was so sweet and it did make my day!  Even though her marathon is 1 week behind mine, she's been willing to follow my "training plan", even though she'll technically be a week off.  She's just thoughtful like that.  OH, and how could I forget she took us out and bought us a big breakfast after a 16 mi run on my bday!  She volunteered her husband to work on me a couple times when my hip was giving me grief. We ran a  22 miler a couple weeks ago  and it was actually enjoyable because of the great company.

 A couple more things, cause I can't say enough about her... the other day she just randomly gives me a running shirt because she thought I would like it.  But, one of the coolest things, in my opinion, is something she recently said to me. On one of our 20 milers as I was running up the Century hill right at the end of our run, she was right behind me and she yells out "Michelle, you're a natural marathoner".  I don't no why, but that simple, encouraging comment meant so much to me, and gave me so much confidence.  It pops into my head any time now that I get tired or discouraged on a run.     I could go on and on, but she has just turned into an awesome friend and all because of running.

Wow, how do I sign up to be Jen's running partner?  Thanks Jen for shifting to a higher gear in small ways. Look at the huge impact you have made on someone just because you took the time to do and say small things.  You are totally awesome.


See how great if feels to shift to a higher gear. Let's celebrate others who are doing these great things in life. I know that you know these people. Infact you might even be that person. I want to hear it all. Share your stories with me at mailto:shifttoahighergear@gmail.com  I would love to spotlight you and your friends or anyone it doesn't even have to do with running. 
  Keep shifting gears.
Corrine. Lots more to come so keep reading.

If you like this story please share it with others anyway you can.
Plus leave me a comment I like sharing but like hearing from you too.

1 comment:

  1. Corrine, you sneaky! Thank you for the thoughtful spotlight...although I thought you did totally great that day we ran together and I think I was more excited than you to run together that day. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for spotlighting Jen, she really does shift to a higher gear as a running partner and as a friend! We'll be seeing you soon in Newport!

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.