Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ogden 1/2 Recap

Check one goal off the list! Ogden 1/2 accomplished!

I had so much fun running this race and it was such a beautiful run.  I am already planning to run next year.

Friday I was getting ready and I was wondering how to pack.  The forecast for the morning was low 40's but that was for the  city of Ogden not up in the mountains.  Trying to figure everything out I got frustrated and really wished I could talk to my dad and ask him what he was going to bring.  I had my moment and realized it was time I learned to do this on my own.  So, I overpacked!

We met up with my BFF from High school at the Expo she has a cabin in Ogden Canyon that we were going to stay at with her and her family.  Turned out to be a great experience.  She was able to drive us over the the start line and we were able to stay in bed a few more minutes.  It was a cold 32 degrees when we showed up that morning but we decided to drop our warm shirts at the start line rather than run with them for 5 miles.  It was a good choice because the first mile of the run was a gradual hill and by the time we got to the top we were nice and warm.  The rest of the run was a gradual decent from out of the mountains into the valley.

During my training runs at about mile 8 I was always spent and ready to be done.  During the race mile 8 came and I thought wow I feel pretty good!  Mile 10 came around and I still felt pretty good.  I couldn't believe it I was going to finish this race strong! And then mile 11 came (que evil music) and then my legs felt like lead.  We had been running with or next to these three ladies we deemed the purple shirt sisters.  They were walk running and would yell out 30 seconds, now run!  We pulled way ahead of them at one point and then at mile 10 we stopped to stretch a little bit and they ran ahead of us.  I wasn't able to catch them, but I think my step mom could have.  She knew I wasn't running like before and she stayed with me.  She said to me when I was having a hard time running, "this is when you run for your dad and you hope he is the wind at your back."  I sort of got a little teary eyed and kept pushing.

We finished the race in the time we had planned, pretty much the exact time we thought we would finish! Even though we didn't take a Garmin or worry about our time the whole race AND with a potty break and stopping to stretch.  We felt good about our efforts.  Hooray for a downhill race! :)  We really did have a great time.

I'm ready to run hard this summer and improve my times and distances.   This race was empowering for me, and I feel more confident than ever.

Keep shifting!
Josie

5 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Josie. I knew you were tuffer than you give yourself credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! Jan said it was a great run too, she really enjoyed it! I'd love to do that one sometime... such a beautiful course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear you had a great run, your words tell us of your feelings of great success. Sounds like you are ready for your next great adventure! Your mom took me through Ogden Canyon it was a great drive, I don't know about running it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you, Josie!!! Sounds like you did AWESOME. I'm way impressed....makes me even want to run, a little. Good Job.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete

Share how you are shifting to a higher gear.